With DISTANCE LEARNING I wasn’t able to do the hands-on electrical circuits lab with my wonderful 8th graders so I had to come up with another way for them to learn the basics. A web search brought me to this really cool VIRTUAL circuit builder that does NOT use Flash – which is awesome because Flash is no longer supported by Chrome.
Here’s a brief video of how this Phet interactive works.
- easy to learn how to use
- can build series and parallel circuits
- there are a few different components to experiment with such as the light bulb, resistor and switch
- can experiment with how adding and subtracting components affects resistance.
- multiples of all of the components can be added, such as adding two batteries to increase voltage
- the anmeter is fun to play with!
- you can view the parts of the circuits in symbols to practice with engineering pictograms
- There are no particular directions so if you want to be sure your students really learn what you want you’ll need to come up directions for them.
Don’t have time to design an activity? No sweat – use mine!
My worksheet guides students in
constructing series and parallel
circuits using the Phet interactive.
No prep required – just have
students watch the video above so
they know how to attach/detach